Thesis Project Supply Chain Benchmarks in Amsterdam
|Functie||Econometrie / Management Science Student|
|Dagen per week||5|
|Stageduur||4 - 6 maanden|
|Salaris opmerking||In line with the market conditions|
We are a global provider of transportation and logistics services. We have presence in over 80 countries and employ over 40,000 people. The company consists of 3 divisions: Road, Air & Sea, Solutions. The Solutions division provides contract logistics services including warehousing, order fulfillment and freight management services through our 350 facilities worldwide. We are currently offering a thesis project involving research into Supply Chain Benchmarks in the Global Business Development Department.
Context of the organization:
The Global Business Development department is a central function that provides support in terms of Product Development, Marketing, Sales, Tender Management and Account Management. The Department is organized around market verticals (automotive, healthcare, consumer products, industrial and high tech) each headed by a Business Development Director whose responsibility it is to attract and manage large complex tenders for long-term logistics contracts. The Business Analytics function in the Global Business Development department is responsible for making optimal use of the data available inside and outside the organization to consult customers and prospects on Supply Chain best practices based on industry benchmarks.
The thesis will be organized in cooperation with the Business Change Management department. It consists of approximately 30 logistics engineers and project managers. Their responsibility includes the implementation of new operations and the optimization of running logistics operations. The department’s work is often IT related as most new contracts involve the set-up of Electronic Data Interfaces (EDI) with customer IT platforms.
Thesis project management:
The project will be managed by the Director Business Analytics and supported by dedicated contacts within the Global Accounts and Business Change Management department.
Context of the project:
The 350 warehouses of DSV Solutions generate huge amounts of Supply Chain data which is currently not used to its full potential. As currently our central Warehouse Management System can offer standardized data sets from across the organization, we are now in an excellent position to start mining this data source. Depending on the specific interest and study area of the student we believe the high level research questions should include:
- Which metrics show sufficient correlation to be used for supply chain benchmarking?
- What is the best approach to cluster our current clients as well as prospective clients based on those metrics?
The project should ultimately focus on providing insights for current customers (notably Global Accounts) and prospects (Global Business Development tenders). Data sources include Warehouse Management System, Freight Management Systems as well as operational ratios obtained from the Thomson Reuters global financial database (EIKON).
• Recommendations to DSV on relevant metrics used for supply chain benchmarking • The project can be further fine-tuned and geared towards the study and area of interest of the candidate
- Market research into Supply Chain metrics, benchmarking methodologies, correlation theories and operations research
- Data mining our WMS data as well as the Thomson Reuters EIKON database
- Gather in-depth understanding of the operational process and how these are supported by the WMS
- Deep dive into one or a set of relevant metrics and investigate correlations
- We are looking for an University student in the field of: data sciences, statistics, operations research and econometrics
Wat bieden wij
- DSV offers a compensation for university thesis projects and covers additional travel expenses;
- Duration of the project should be around 6 months;
- The project should be at least part-time on-site in either Amsterdam or Venlo.
If you are interested in contributing to this innovative project, please send your resume and motivation letter to Nicky@stageplaza.nl